Monday, February 11, 2013

A Happy Chinese New Year

Sterling Mei Shepherd
Chinese New Year 2013
She hasn't been with us for even a year… and yet our life is bound by her forever. This little lady that came to us carried on the wings of hope. We celebrate her this year with good reason.

We all have a journey and we all have a story. Hers goes simply like this: 

a mother who cared enough to choose life and bear her birth, who could not keep her...

who nestled her down like Moses in the reeds to be found... 

an unknown person who notified a policeman...

who took her to the baby orphanage...

who placed her small, underdeveloped body into an incubator that held her for 3 months...

a nurse and staff who cared for her, countless officials and agents that stamped her papers… 

until the day we watched her be carried in to our waiting arms… 

6 years in the making…

creating this past year for us, that is absolute magic.

Do you ever doubt if there is a God? Spend a day in my household. I will show you the stuff of the God. I live daily walking among miracles.

And we expect more.


I bought these on clearance the day after the Bengals lost in the playoffs. I will take them with us to Guatemala because they are a piece of our home. 

Soon these little onesies will cuddle 6 little babies like my Sterling that can-not be cared for by their mothers.  I am not here to condemn or even try to understand the sacrifice of those ladies, I am simply here to hug close those little lives and to hand them over to families that will experience celebrations like I had today.

There is nothing greater than love. There is nothing more powerful than the embrace of family. We can offer a tremendous hope in the face of utter despair.

This is the story of my daughters. This is my story as well. This is in fact the longing of all our hearts.

Happy new year my dearest Sterling Mei. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment